Everyone and their Jack Frost knew Persona 5’s sequel, Persona 5 Scramble The Phantom Strikers, would top sales charts the week of its release in Japan.
Famitsu published online their sales estimate in Japan for the time period of February 17- February 23, 2020, including sales for Persona 5 Scramble. Keep in mind that these sales estimates do not take into account digital sales. Meaning people like me who digitally bought Persona 5 Scramble‘s Japanese version aren’t included in this count. It’s also interesting to note February 23 and February 24 were holidays in Japan, affecting the sales. Consoles and Nintendo Switch sales are also slower than usual because of the Coronavirus delaying new shipments.
Famitsu’s games and consoles sales estimate in Japan, February 17 – February 23, 2020:
- PS4 – Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers – 115,995 (New release)
- Switch – Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers – 46,415 (New release)
- Switch – Pokemon Sword, Pokemon Shield – 18,403 (3,445,788 in total)
- PS4 – Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story – 10,654 (New release)
- Switch – Ring Fit Adventure – 9,861 (696,005 in total)
- Switch – Minecraft – 8,687 / (1,272,585 in total)
- Switch – Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Mega Mix – 8,468 (62,074 in total)
- Switch – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 7,608 (3,569,420 in total)
- Switch – Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story – 7,392 (New release)
- Switch – Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 7,326 (2,781,277 in total)
Here are the consoles sales estimates:
- Switch Lite ／ 30640
In a breathtaking and completely unexpectable outcome, Persona 5 Scramble The Phantom Strikers topped the charts. The game launched on February 20 in Japan. The PS4 version sold much more than the Switch version seeing Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal aren’t on Switch. The fanbase is on PS4.
I’ve played 30 hours of Persona 5 Scramble on Switch so far and the game is amazing. I hope it sells a lot more and gets announced outside Japan soon. You can find all the details on the game through our past coverage. Meanwhile, Persona 5 Royal launches on March 31 in the west, exclusively on PlayStation 4. Be sure to check out our preview of the English version, and our interview with the staff regarding localization changes. You can also check out our past coverage of the game with the Japanese version’s promotion and news.