Rome: Total War – Alexander, Feral Interactive’s port of the classic strategy expansion, is available now for both iOS and Android. There’s also an update for the iPad version of the game too that brings several quality of life improvements.
Rome: Total War – Alexander is often viewed as the biggest test for Rome players, originally being designed to provide new challenges for those who’ve already conquered the base game and Barbarian Invasion. We reviewed the iPad version when it released a couple of years back and found it to be an essential purchase for fans of the Rome series.
The iOS and Android version of the game promises to deliver players the full experience that the original PC Total War – Alexander offered but with a completely redesigned UI that’s more suitable for phones. Additionally, the iPhone version will be available as a free update if you already own the iPad version, which is good for any strategy aficionados who may have already picked the game up.
The additional features and functionality that were added in the creation of the iPhone and Android ports have also made their way over to the iPad version of the game. These include:
- New range markers show the firing distance of your missile units.
- Unit status, such as health and ammo, displayed above their heads.
- Units in a group can be commanded to adopt the same pace when travelling to their target.
- Enhanced zoom on the campaign map and battlefield.
- Character and faction screens redesigned for easy access to detailed info.
- The battle UI can now be hidden for a clearer view.
- Detailed help when you first launch the game and video guide accessible throughout.
- Improved unit navigation on the Campaign Map — select the unit and double-tap their destination.
- Now uses Apple’s Metal API for a boost in performance.